Maple Bacon Whiskey Ice Cream
8 pieces of bacon
2/3 cup Water
1 tablespoon Gelatin
8 egg yolks
2/3 cup Maple Syrup
2 2/3 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
2/3 cup Chilled Whiskey
- Place bacon in a 350 degree oven and bake 15 minutes until crispy
- Remove bacon and place on a plate with a paper towel to drain excess fat, allow to cool (crumble into small pieces when cool)
- Put the maple syrup in a small pan and heat it.
- At the same time beat the yolks in a bowl.
- Slowly pour the hot honey into the bowl containing the yolks, while continuing to beat the mixture. Chill
- Once the honey yolk mixture is chilled, place the water in a small sauce pan and sprinkle the gelatin, let sit for about 2 minutes, or until absorbed
- Heat the water and gelatin over low heat for approximately 3 minutes, or until gelatin is completely dissolved
- Whisk in the chilled whiskey and then strain the mixture
- Whip the cream until it is thick adding the whiskey gradually
- Gently fold the cream and whiskey mixture into the yolks and honey
- If the mixture is thick enough add bacon and mix. If mixture is thinner, allow to firm up a bit in the freezer before adding the bacon (otherwise it will all sink to the bottom).
- Put the mixture into a freezer proof container and freeze (I recommend over night).