I love serving these out of my mini crock pot at get-togethers. I just place a plate with washed lettuce leaves beside and let people go to town. I think you’ll get as many compliments as I did with these colorful, crunchy-textured, healthy appetizers!
For the filling:
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 lb ground chicken (or you could use turkey – I’ve had both and I think chicken is slightly better)
- 8oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 (8oz) can water chestnuts, drained and minced
- 2 whole green onions, sliced
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno or Serrano pepper (depending on your heat preferences. For even hotter, don’t remove ribs or seeds)
- 1/3 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh snow peas
- 3/4-1 cup coconut aminos
- Lettuce leaves (romaine hearts or iceberg lettuce work well)
- Prepare the filling by heating the oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned and cooked all the way through.
- Add mushrooms, water chestnuts, green onions, ginger, garlic, peppers, carrots and snowpeas. Cook until fragrant and cooked through (but don’t let the vegetables lose their crunch – nobody likes soggy veggies). Add coconut aminos and stir.
- Scoop mixture onto lettuce leaves. top with cilantro, if desired, and your favorite dipping sauce.