This is a fantastic salad that is great for fall. I pack it and bring it with me to enjoy when I leave the house. It’s yummy and satisfying with all of its flavors in a perfect, harmonious balance.
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, peeled & cut into an 1/2-inch dice
- 1- 15oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 hearty handfuls fresh arugula (about 2 packed cups)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the butternut squash, garbanzo beans, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garam masala, curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Roast for about 30 minutes until butternut squash is soft and garbanzo beans are crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn heat to low, cover and cook about 20 minutes until quinoa is cooked. Remove from heat and transfer to a large bowl and fluff with a fork.
- Add the roast butternut squash and chickpeas, arugula, dried cranberries, lemon juice, orange juice and 2 tablespoons olive oil to the quinoa. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.