Kuddos to my buddy Anne to share the secret of shiratake noodles (or, as she calls them, Shakira noodles – haha). YUM! They are full of great, filling fiber and have little to no calories. Yes, you read that correctly! If you love the carbs that come from noodles, but rather spend them in another way, go for these! If you can’t find them in your grocery store, try a health food store or Asian market. The tofu variety have a flavor that’s closest to traditional noodles.
Now onto drunken noodles….
I came home and was very hungry! I wanted a substantial meal and I wanted it quickly! I wasn’t about to let my goals and healthy ideals slip just because I felt like eating everything in sight, so it needed to be healthy. Luckily I found something that fit the bill and was DELICIOUS! It was colorful, it was healthy, it was tasty. The big 3 of great food obtained!
- 4 Tbs. liquid aminos (you could also use tamari or low-sodium soy sauce)
- Juice of one lime
- 1 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 2 tsp. sriracha sauce
- 1 Tbs. grapeseed oil
- 1 chopped jalapeño chile
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbs.)
- 1 onion, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ¾ cup of snow peas
- ½ cup of sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup of sliced zucchini
- ½ cup of sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 2 8-oz. pkg. tofu shirataki fettuccine, prepared according to package directions
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1. Whisk together tamari, lime juice, brown sugar, and sriracha in bowl. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in wok over medium-high heat. Add jalapeño and garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add veggies and stir-fry 5 minutes. Add tamari mixture and shirataki, and simmer 3 to 5 minutes, then toss with basil.