As an indulgence from time to time, I enjoy some delicious coconut rice. It really is a great luau staple. I can make it easily in my rice cooker. I will sometimes add it to soups to create a unique flavor combination. I am planning on using some leftover to make a special coconut rice, mango and black bean salad so be on the lookout for that soon. Let me know how you enjoy this simple side!
- 2 cups Thai jasmine-scented white rice (not brown, sorry. It just won’t work for this one)
- 1 cup good-quality coconut milk (not “light”)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. dry shredded coconut, unsweetened or sweetened (baking type)
- Place rice in rice cooker. Add the water, coconut milk, salt, and shredded coconut. Stir well (use a plastic or wooden utensil to avoid scraping off the non-stick surface). Cover and set to cook.
- Once your rice cooker switches to “warm” mode, allow another 8-10 minutes for rice to finish “steaming”. This will ensure your coconut rice is fully cooked and pleasantly sticky.
- Gently fluff before serving (some of the shredded coconut may have risen to the surface – just stir it back into the rice). Taste-test it for salt