A good friend of mine made these crab cakes for me. They were the first crab cakes that I ever liked and opened me up to the world of crab cake tasting and crab cake connoisseurship. I remember how reluctant he was to give me the recipe stating, ‘I don’t want you to make them for a bunch of dudes’. Haha! Well to be fair to him, all I’ll give you is the ingredients; I won’t give you measurements or methods- I never measure for these anyway!
You’ll notice that the crab cakes pictured are smaller and are featured on top of a salad- I made them mini crab cakes for a party I was going to and couldn’t resist having two for lunch on top of a healthy salad with some mango salsa (no need for dressing!) but they are delicious made larger as a main dish feature or in a sandwich. You’ll also see 3 fantastic toppings for these crab cakes: A Creamy Lemon Caper Sauce, A Mango Salsa, and a Spicy Remoulade
Marquise’s Famous Crab Cakes
I have never measured- I just throw stuff in
1 can lump crab meat
red bell pepper
fresh ground pepper
pinch of salt
enough bread crumbs to hold it together, but not too much
Creamy Lemon Caper Sauce
2 tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1-tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup red onions, charred and chopped (quarter inch pieces)
- 3 mangos (drained and chopped in quarter inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup diced red pepper (eighth of an inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup mango puree (blend together freshly squeezed lemon juice from half of lemon, freshly squeezed juice from half of an orange or a splash of store bought orange juice, a teaspoon of agave syrup, mango chunks from 1 mango)
- 1/4 cup scallions (chopped on bias)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
1. Peel and slice red onion in 2 to 3 large pieces lay on hot grill and char or broil in oven.
2. Chop the red onion into quarter inch pieces.
3. Dice the Mango, red and jalapeño pepper.
4. Mix all the ingredients together
Spicy Remoulade Sauce
1 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup Tabasco
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
splash of milk
Sauce: put all ingredients into a shaker and shake. Serve on the side, or on top of the crab cakes for a kick of spice!