* Since originally drafting this entry the weather has warmed up again! Go figure! But I did enjoy eating these soups while it was cold and blustery. I froze the remainder should we get another onion snow this year 🙂
The weather in Central PA just cant make up it’s mind. A few weeks ago it was warm, sunny and I got to wear some nice shorts and sandals. I even turned on the air conditioner! Today I see snow swarm outside my little classroom window! What is going on?
Days like this one calls for a nice warm, comforting bowl of soup (or in my case, a mason jar of soup). Luckily I took some time this weekend to prepare some delicious Clean Eating Carrot Soup and some Vitamix Carrot Ginger Tofu soup. Both are great and can be made using a regular blender or an immersion blender (you’re welcome Jeff and Katie Hermann ;-))
This carrot soup is velvety smooth and a delicious blend of flavors. It almost tastes like there is cream in it, but I assure you, there is not! The beautiful golden color and the slightly sweet fragrance makes this a delight for the senses!
Clean Eating Carrot Soup
1/2 cup coconut butter (or olive oil)- I opted to use Nutiva’s Coconut Manna, which is lower in fat and calories than coconut butter or oil)
1 cup chopped onion
6 cups carrots peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves (press)
8 cups low-sodium chicken stock or vegetable broth to make this vegan/vegetarian
1 tsp freshly ground white pepper
1 Tbsp sea salt
juice of 2 fresh oranges
2 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
Soften coconut butter, or put oil in saucepan.
Saute onion until soft (about 5 mins)
Add carrots, sweet potato, and garlic. Cook about 15 mins until vegetables soften.
Remove from heat and add chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Return to heat over medium-high flame.
When pot reaches boil, reduce heat and add orange juice and ginger. Simmer for an hour
Puree soup (you can use an immersion blender or a regular blender. I opted to use my Vitamix, which made a very nice smooth consistency).
Ladle into bowls and serve garnishing with your choice of chives, ginger, Greek Yogurt, etc.
While I still have you here, I’d like to share another great carrot soup, one that is quick and simple for those of you who are lucky enough to use a Vitamix. You’ll notice that my soup is still frothy in this picture from just coming out of the blender.
1/4 small onion, peeled
4 small garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch white pepper
1 tablespoon fresh ginger root or Ginger Paste
1/3 cup (70 g) light silken tofu
2 cups (480 ml) low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1. Place carrots, onion and garlic into the Vitamix container and secure lid.
2. Select Variable 1.
3. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 4 or 5.
4. Blend for 10 seconds or until chopped.
5. Heat oil in a small pan and sauté chopped ingredients until onion is clear and carrots are tender. Add a little broth, if needed.
6. Place remaining ingredients into the Vitamix container, add sauteed ingredients and secure lid.
7. Select Variable 1.
8. Turn machine on and slowly increase speed to Variable 10, then to High.